Its other name is sodium acid sulfite
- It is present in the form of white shinning crystals
- It has sulfur like taste and smell
- It is dangerous to add it in meat
- Harmful for skin and nail
- Non flammable
- Soluble in water
- Insoluble in alcohol
It is obtained by the reaction of sodium carbonate and sulfur dioxide
- U-S-P, regent, commercial dry.
- Used in preparation of sodium salts and cream of tartar.
- Used in textile industry
- Preservation of food
- Acts as an antiseptic, reducing agent.
- Also used for copper and brass plating