- It is a widely used industrial pigment. It comes on 34th number in chemical products ranking in America.
- It is prepared in three different grades. They include; channel black, thermal black, and furnace black.
- Furnace black has an extensive application as compared to the other two grades.
- It is a black colored powder that remains suspended in the air.
- 1.8 to 2.1
- It does not dissolve in any solvent
- Powder, pallets, and paste
- (ASTM) N660- F550N
- N330 – N110 – N220
- N761 – N762 – N601
- 5300 (CANNEL) 5301
- It is used in Tyre tread, belt covers, rubber making and rubber products, plastic making and plastic products, ultraviolet light observer, carbon paper, dyeing inks, type writer ribbons, Shoe polishes.
- Carbon black is also used as a reinforcing agent, coloring agent in paint making, and coloring agent in printing inks.
- It is also used in the cosmetic products like; eye mascara and eye liner.