- It is also known as tri chloromethane and is a colorless and vaporizing aqueous crystal
- Its taste is sweet and has a distinct smell.
- It has to keep away from light
- Soluble in alcohol, ether, carbon di sulfide, benzene, and carbon tetra chloride
- It is obtained by the reaction of chlorinated lime and ethanol
- It is poisonous in edible form
- It is not flammable but can catch fire on higher temperature
- Its long-term and excessive use can prove to be dangerous
- It can cause cancer when used in medicines
- Its use is prohibited in tooth paste, cough medicine, cosmetics, and food products.
- Fluorocarbon plastics, solvent, and adhesives