- It is a widely used fatty acid which is obtained from the animal fats. Its commercial grade contains 45% palmitic acid, 50% stearic acid and 5% oleic acid. In pure grade, the ratio of stearic acid is higher.
- It is present in the form of shinning solid or small pieces.
- High quality stearic acid has no bad odor, but low quality acid has bad smell.
- Soluble in alcohol, ether, chloroform and carbon di sulfide
- Insoluble in water
- 196 OC
- 361. 10 OC
AUTO IGNITION TEMPERATURE
- 395 OC
- It catches fire and not poisonous in edible form
- Available in many grades like single, double. triple, B-P, U-S-P, F-C-C. Also present in the form of 90% and 99.8% pure grades.
- Obtained from banaspati ghee and animal fats
- As mentioned above, stearic acid is a widely used chemical compound. It is used in cosmetic industry to make following products
Beauty cream, vanishing cream, baby lotion, day and night cream, foundation cream , makeup lotions, talcum powder, coco butter creams, hand lotions, hand and body lotions, aerosol sun lotions, cleansing lotions and creams. Massage creams, cosmetic sticks, hair lotions, all purpose creams, sun screen creams and lotions, moisturizing creams, eye shadow, shaving cream, after sun lotions, skin tint, protein conditioners, deep conditioners, cream eye shadow, eye shadow base, eye shadow stick sun screen powder, anti dandruff shampoos, after shave lotions and creams
- Other than cosmetics, it is also used in rubber making, rubber products making, pharmaceuticals, ointments, lubricants and metal polishes.