- It is a commonly used chemical compound and its other names include
- Caustic soda, white soda, white caustic
- It is soluble in water, glycerol and alcohol
- Changes to carbonate by absorbing moisture and carbon dioxide in air
- It is irritating and highly poisonous in nature
- Harmful for skin, eyes and salivary membranes
- Use it by wearing protective glasses and gloves
- It is prepared from the sodium chloride
- Powder, flakes, precipitates, liquid and crystal grades are available
- It is used in chemical manufacturing, petroleum refining as a neutralizing agent, pulp and paper making, aluminum casting,
- Detergents, rubber re cleaning, fruit and food industry , textile processing, soap making, peeling off the fruits and vegetables.
- The compound is also used in making cosmetic products like; all kinds of shampoos, Creams and snows.
- Also used in making floor polishes, lubricants formulations.