Chemical Formulas of Some Important Chemicals
In this piece of writing, we are describing properties and the chemical formulae of some important chemical compounds.
The chemical formula of baking soda
Baking soda is also called Sodium bicarbonate. Its color is white and is present in powdered form. The chemical formula of baking soda is NaHCO3 which shows that it has one sodium atom, one hydrogen atom, one carbon atom, and three oxygen atoms.
Properties of sodium bicarbonate
- Baking soda is alkaline
- Its melting point is 50 degrees
- It is an odorless chemical compound
Uses of baking soda
Some uses of baking soda are
- It is used as a pesticide
- Baking soda neutralizes the effect of acids
- It is an essential ingredient of many cosmetic and personal care products
The chemical formula of salt
Salt comes from the evaporation of seawater. It is also called sodium chloride.
Salt is an ionic compound, and its chemical formula is NaCl.
Properties of salt
- It is a transparent and colorless compound
- NaCl is highly soluble in water and slightly soluble in alcohol
- It has a melting point of 801°C
- Salt is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture
- It is present in the form of crystals or crystalline powder
Uses of salt
- The most common use of salt is in cooking
- The salt solution or saline treats nasal problems.
- It is also a source of producing chlorine.
The chemical formula of water
Water is the most abundant chemical compound on the earth. It is colorless and the land’s most widely used liquid. It consists of hydrogen and oxygen, and its chemical formula is H2O.
Properties of water
Chemical properties of water include:
- The boiling point of water 100 degree Celsius
- It freezes at 0 degrees Celsius.
- Water has a high heat of vaporization.
- It has high polarity.
Uses of water
- Water is used for drinking, bathing, and washing purposes.
- It is an ingredient in the manufacturing of various other chemical compounds.
The chemical formula of aluminum chloride
Aluminum chloride is a white-colored ionic compound. It contains aluminum and chloride ions. The chemical formula of aluminum chloride is AlCl3.
Properties of aluminum chloride
It has the following features
- The melting point of aluminum chloride is 192.6°C
- It is a white colored chemical compound
- It produces yellow color when gets contaminated by iron chloride
Uses of aluminum chloride
- It acts as an antiperspirant
- It is used in industries to manufacture aluminum metal
- Aluminum chloride has extensive use in making paints and synthetic rubber
The chemical formula of washing soda
Washing soda is the salt of carbonic acid and is also called sodium carbonate. The chemical formula of washing soda is Na2CO3. You can obtain it by heating sodium bicarbonate.
Properties of washing soda
- Washing soda has the following chemical properties
- It is a white, odorless powder
- Washing soda is highly hygroscopic
- It is basic in nature
- Sodium carbonate has a melting pointof 851°C.
Uses of washing soda
Washing soda has the following uses
- Making laundry detergent
- Cleaning burners and pots to remove stubborn stains
- Softening water
The chemical formula of sugar
There are three common types of sugar: glucose, sucrose, and fructose.
The formula of each type is different. Sucrose is the common Table sugar, and its chemical formula is C12H22O11. It is a disaccharide made with two monosaccharides. The chemical formula of sucrose shows that one molecule of table sugar has 12 carbon atoms, 22 hydrogen atoms, and 11 oxygen atoms.
Properties of sugar
Some properties of sugar are
- It is an odorless white crystalline solid
- The melting point of sucrose is 186 degree Celsius
- It is an inflammable chemical compound
Uses of sugar
Sugar has the given applications
- Adding sweetness to the food
- Manufacturing and preserving certain food items
The chemical formula of plastic
Plastics are chemical compounds that consist of various elements such as carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, chlorine, and sulfur. There are seven different types of plastic. PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is the type of plastic, and its formula is CH2=CHCl.
Properties of PVC plastic
Some of the properties of Polyvinyl chloride are :
- Its melting point is 260°C
- It dilutes in acid easily
- PVC has a density of 1.38 g/cm3
Uses of PVC plastic
Few uses of plastic are:
- PVC plastic is a good insulator of heat and electricity
- It is used in the manufacturing of pipes
- It has many applications in the construction and medicine industry.
The chemical formula of magnesium oxide
Magnesium oxide is an ionic compound and is commonly named magnesia.
It occurs naturally as periclase, and its chemical formula is MgO. The formula tells that magnesium oxide forms by the reaction of magnesium and oxygen.
Properties of Magnesium Oxide
Important chemical properties of magnesium oxide include:
- It is hygroscopic in nature
- Its melting point is 2,852° C
- Density of magnesium oxide is 3.58 g/cm3
- It is alkaline in nature
Uses of magnesium oxide
Following are some uses of magnesium oxide
- It is an effective laxative that relieves short term constipation
- Magnesium oxide in its hydrated form reduces the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion
- It is also an important ceramic material
The chemical formula of Urea
Urea is an organic compound and is also called carbamide. It forms with the combination of four elements i.e. carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen. The chemical formula of urea is CO(NH2)2.
Properties of urea
Urea has the following chemical properties
- It is a white crystalline powder or solid
- Density of urea is 1.32 g/cm3
- Its melting point is 133 to 135 °C
- Urea is highly soluble in water and less soluble in alcohol
- It is soluble in ether
Uses of urea
- Urea is most commonly used as a fertilizer
- Urea treats various skin and nail conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and ingrown nails.
- It is also beneficial in healing the wounds
- Urea decreases the air pollution caused by lorries, cars, and buses.
The chemical formula of sodium oxide
Sodium oxide is also known as disodium oxide. It is a chemical compound that has application in the glass and ceramics industry. Its chemical formula is Na2O. this substance forms by the reaction of sodium hydroxide with metallic sodium.
Properties of sodium oxide
Some features of sodium oxide are:
- Sodium oxide is a yellow colored crystalline solid
- Its melting point is 1,132° C
- Boiling point of sodium oxide is 1,950° C
Uses of sodium oxide
Sodium oxide has the following uses
- It is a source of producing sodium metal
- Sodium oxide has applications in many optics, glass, and ceramic industry
- It is a good conductor of electricity